We have all had sleepless nights due to anxiety, #stress, poor diet, nightmares are real problems – but what happens when you can’t sleep most of the nights and are exhausted in the mornings and have to resort to sleeping pills that lowers the quality of sleep?
We have a few suggestions that you could try out to get the most out of your sleeping hours
10 tips to improve sleep quality
- No to Napping – avoid taking naps during the day time – at least till you have overcome your lack of sleep during the night – if you must nap during the day keep it brief preferably less than one hour.
- Don’t see blue – Avoid using devices that emit blue light at least one hour before going to sleep – studies have shown that short waves emitted by blue light interfere with sleep
- Your neck – play a crucial role in sleep quality – a pillow that’s too fat or too thin can adversely affect sleep ensure that you have a pillow that just right.
- Sneezing, itching, scratching – affects the quality of your sleep so ensure that the bed and mattress are carefully cleaned and all allergens removed also dust mites can also cause serious problems – so get rid of them.
- Sleep and Sex – using auto suggestion by reserving the bedroom for sex and sleep can immediately place your mind in a relaxed mood that allows for a good nights sleep.
- Eating and drinking right – Dinner plays a crucial role in the quality of your sleep ideally you should it something light and healthy at least two hours before going to bed. Alcohol does put you to sleep but affects your quality of sleep by causing frequent awakenings later at night – so not too much to drink at dinner time.
- Exercise more – Well planned and timed exercise can get your body ready for bed – try not to exercise too late in the evening the extra energy boost can keep you awake – stop exercising 3-4 hours before bed times.
- Clock out – access to a clock can be disastrous during sleep time ensure that you cannot see the clock or that the clock faces away from you. The alarm clock is a major cause of anxiety for people who fight sleep disorders.
- Noise – hypersensitivity can be a real problem for adults – ideally white noise generators, such as fan, air conditioners can help – if not you may have to resort to ear plugs
- Leg Pillow – placed between your legs can help reduce lower back pain that could otherwise affect the quality of your sleep.
We hope the above can help you get a good nights sleep and also consider commenting on what technique you use to fall asleep.